Burigi Chato National Park
A Newly established National Park, Located in Biharamulo, Ngara, Karagwe and Muleba districts in Kagera region and in Chato in Geita. The Park is close to Lake Victoria, on the border with Rwanda, and is surrounded by the Kagera River and Lake Burigi.
- There is a lot of potential in terms of tourism value chain, you will enjoy the wonderful climate, experience and be part of the community, cross border to Rwanda, make new friends and view amazing waterfalls and wildlife for a lifetime experience.
- The park is 4,702Km2– Biharamulo, Burigi, and Kimisi game reserves being merged and become one national park.
- The national park was created by the government in the 1970s as a game reserve and in May, 2018 promoted together with other five to form National Parks. The plan was commissioned as Burigi-Chato National Park on Tuesday 09thJuly, 2019.
- The newly promoted National Parks has opened up a new tourism circuit in the North Western parts of the country and Lake Zone of Tanzania
- The park is home to a wide collection of wildlife, including elephants, buffaloes, largest antelopes, lions, leopards, zebras, giraffes, chimpanzees and gorillas.
- Lake Burigiis an endorheic lake in the Karagwe district, Kagera Region of Tanzania.The parts of the lake and its shore are situated within the Burigi Game Reserve.
- Expect to enjoy the natural landscape and magnificent mountainous sceneries, varieties of wildlife, preserved ecological system, amazing lakes and some rare species of birds like fish eagles, papyrus ganolek, and bizarre shoebill stork
Good to Know
Best Time To Visit
The Park is accessible all year round. However, June to September is the best time for bird watching and viewing large mammals such as Hippo, Buffalo, Topi, Waterbuck, Elephant Impala, Eland, Giraffe Roan and Sitatunga.
- Wildlife Safari
- Walking & Trekking
- Camping & Star Gazing
- Photographic safari
- Cultural safari & Canoeing
Burigi Chato offer a number of standard lodges from mid-range to friendly budget lodge, campsite, guesthouse as the Park is still virgin in terms of hotels and accommodation and souvenir shops