Lake Manyara National Park
The park covers an area of 352, it described as “the loveliest place of Africa” is an unspoiled paradise of groundwater forest and teeming with wildlife such as elephants, hippos, giraffes, buffaloes, antelopes, adorable Kirk’s dik-dik, mongooses, hippos, buffaloes, antelopes, gazelles, and and some of the largest baboon troupes in Africa.
- Undoubtedly the tree climbing lions are the most unique and iconic attraction of the Lake Manyara National Park.
- Lake Manyara provides Africa’s largest concentration of elephants.
- The park enables a great opportunity for the night safari.
- Easy spotting animals and birds as there is vast diversity residing in a small area.
- The slightly salty water of Lake Manyara hosts a great number of wildlife like hippopotamus, flamingos, and a large variety of aquatic life.
- During the wet season, the best attraction of the lake is canoeing safari.
- Manyara National Park, offer a unique attractions of the area that is Maji Moto; a natural hot spring. The spring offers clear waters and sun-dappled shady picnic spots to enjoy and relax.
- Lake Manyara is an Alkaline Lake which has no outflow fed by underground springs and by several permanent streams that drain surrounding Ngorongoro Highlands.
- Over 670 flowering plants, the flora of Lake Manyara National Park is quite diversified.
- Lake Manyara National Park is also home to a larger number of mammals which includes plains zebra, bushbuck, waterbuck, Grant’s gazelle, impala, Thomson’s gazelle, Cape buffalo, giraffe, hippopotamus, baboon, warthog, and African bush elephant
- Lake Manyara Park is situated in Northern Tanzania
- If you are a bird-loving person this can be the best place for you in the whole of Africa as this park has to offer 400 species of birds.
- You would spot wide varieties of trees which include sausage trees, umbrella trees, baobabs, yellow fever trees, and doom palms.
- The Lake Manyara name is derived from the Maasai word Maa.
Manyara National Park is in the northern circuit of Tanzania and one of the popular safari spots of the northern circuit. Like most of the northern circuit national park, this national park’s safari journey also starts from Kilimanjaro airport or Arusha town.
The best option is
- By road from Kilimanjaro airport, Arusha town/airport, also as an option from Dodoma airport,
- By scheduled flights or chartered flight from Kilimanjaro International Airport, Zanzibar airport, Dar es Salaam airport or From Arusha airport
Good to Know
Best Time To Visit
Watching wildlife and birds in Lake Manyara National Park is good all year.
- It’s best from June to October, during the Dry season.
- Yet, this very scenic park is at its most beautiful and it’s time for plentiful migrant birds species during the Wet season, from November to May, when the vegetation is lush and waterfalls cascade down the escarpment
- Birding Safari
- Culture tour (Maasaiboma)
- Wildlife Safari (Day and Night game Safari)
- Mountain biking, Forest walk, Canoeing Safari
- Natural Walking Safari and treetop walkway
- Camping Safari, Horse and camel riding
- Sundowners, Bush Lunch and Dinner
the popular stop-off national park on the way to Serengeti and Ngorongoro crater offers several accommodations options budget, mid-range and to Luxury
- A luxury treehouse-style camp, public bandas and campsites inside the park
- One luxury tented camp and three lodges perched on the Rift Wall outside the park
Several lodges, camps and guesthouses and campsites in nearby MtowaMbu