Mkomazi National Park
Mkomazi National Park is located in on the Kenyan border, in Kilimanjaro Region and Tanga Region established as a game reserve in 1951. The park covers up more than 3,234km2area, it’s a set of the verdant slopes of the spectacular Usambara and Pare Eastern Arc Mountain Ranges and overseen by iconic snow – capped peak of Kilimanjaro, Mkomazi is a virgin breath-taking beauty exhibiting unique natural treasures and immense sense of space – which adds to the fulfilment of high visitor’s enjoyment expectations – a much needed bridge between northern circuit and coastal attractions.
- The name Mkomazi is the combination of two words, ‘Mko and Mazi’. Mako means a traditional tiny wooden spoon used by the Pare people for eating and Mazi means water.
- Mkomazi National Park is known best for its black rhinos but is also home to oryx, dik-dik, eland, and many birds and butterflies.
- To save the territory from continuous poaching, and illegal hunting The Mkomazi project was created in 1989.
- Diversity of Flora and Fauna, the only protected area where the large and visible population of Gerenuk can be spotted
- The large population of various mammals can be spotted including Wild Cats, Silver Backed Jackals, Lions, Cheetah, Leopards, Lesser Kudu, Giraffes, Grant’s gazelle, Hyenas, Hartebeest, Warthogs, Buffaloes, Elephants, and Zebra.
- Hiking Mbula Hill Trait (5KM) which takes about 4hours to ascend and descend
- A good number of reptiles can be spotted including Python, crocodiles, and Agama Lizards
- More than 450 bird’s species makes the place a great spot for bird viewing
Good to Know
Best Time To Visit
- Late June – early September is the best time for large mammal and bird watching.
- Scenic beauty is at its peak during March – June.
- Wildlife Safari
- Bird watching Safari
- Mountain Biking
- Camping Safari
- Walking Safari
- Trekking at Mbula(uphill) trail
- There are few semi – permanent tented camp and lodge near the Park headquarters and few designated basic campsites.
- There are several small campsite, lodge, hotels and guest houses in Same and Hedaru town