Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park is said to be the hidden gem of Tanzania. The name was derived from the Tarangire River that crosses the park which is a primary source of fresh water for the animals residing in the region during the annual dry season.
- The park was established in 1970, covers up an area of approximately 2,850km2(1,100 square miles.) which is composed of granitic ridges, river valley, and swamps.
- The park is quite famous for its high density of elephants and baobab trees.
- Easy to reach, from Arusha and it’s possible for a day trip safari from Arusha
- The Elephants and the baobab trees are one of the unique attractions of the park.
- African Pythons are spotted on the baobab quite often
- The is home to iconic animals most spotted animals in the national park are Africa elephants, lions, leopards, cheetahs, various primates, ostriches, flamingos, giraffes, zebras, gazelles, buffaloes, wildebeests, pythons, hartebeests, elands, and impalas.
- The park is claimed as the region that holds the largest elephant population in Tanzania. In the dry season herds, up to 300 elephants can be seen digging dry riverbed.
- The park is a home to more than 550 species of birds, including Stocking-thighed Ostrich; the world’s largest bird, the Kori Bustard; the heaviest flying bird in the world, and smaller groups of hornbills.
- The baobab trees, living up to 600 years, these venerable trees are spotted in Tarangire National Park. Known as the Tree of Life, the baobab tree can store anywhere between 300 and 1000 liters of water within its bloated trunk.
Most travelers visits the Tarangire National Park from Arusha town, Kilimanjaro airport or as part of a bigger package, including a visit to the Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Manyara.
- The best option to access all parks of the northern circuit is from Arusha, Moshi, Dodomaand you get direct to Arusha is to fly into Kilimanjaro International Airport(JRO), which is situated about 46km/29mi from Arusha. It is also possible to fly into Julius NyerereInternational Airport (DAR) or Zanzibar international airport (ZNZ), and fly on to Arusha Airport (ARK) or Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO)
- By road, you can drive by our safari vehicle
- By chartered or scheduled, small aircraft on chartered or scheduled flights, is to fly into Tarangire airstrip and you will be picked up from airstrip by our safari vehicle
Good to Know
Best Time To Visit
Wildlife viewing in Tarangire is fantasticall year around. But the seasonal climate fluctuations, migration and breeding patterns have a great influence on the choice of the best time to visit
- June and October which is the dry season, there are unimaginable herds of animals that can be spotted.
- The scenery is lush and spectacular in the Wet season months (from November to May).
Tarangire National Park offers many activities to the safari tourists.
- Wildlife Safari
- Birding Safari
- Walking Safari
- Bush Lunch and Dinner
- Night game drive
- Photographic Safari
- Hot air balloon Safari
The national park offers a good range of safari lodges, tented camps, campsite within the park itself as well as the areas surrounding it. There is a varied choice of accommodation in Tarangire inside and outside the park and nearby MtowaMbu and Karatu city from all level of budget, Sem-luxury and Luxury lodges and camp.